Changed lives sharing Gospel that changes lives - Wednesday update

Day three on the mission field started unlike other days with all four teams being able to meet together in a church to sing and dance with our fellow Ethiopian brothers and sisters and pray for the Lord to guide our steps. From there our team did not load back into the bus, instead we walked to a nearby village where we got to share the gospel with a few Ethiopian Orthodox & even met some Christians & got to pray with them.  

Overall this was a very sweet time for our team as yesterday was an emotionally and spiritually heavy day for us. But after lunch we decided to head into the nearby market to speak to people from other villages who gather to buy & sell. Leading up to this I was having a rough day and was being bombarded with insecurities and lies all day that I could not shake for some reason. However, once we got to the market that all began to change as I got to interact and play with some of the children that came up to us. While Brady was sharing, an Ethiopian man came up to me speaking fluent English and was curious why we were in his country.  I broke off from the group with one of our translators and disciple makers to share with this man why we were there. 

For some reason while sharing my testimony I had an urge to share more than I had previously on this trip up to this point. I opened with how a works based faith had left me empty and scared of where I would go once I died no matter how much I went to church and tried to live for God, and how this lack of peace grew into a season of backsliding and chasing things of this world like relationships, alcohol and money. By the time I finished sharing my testimony and how the gospel has set me free and changed my life the original guy who spoke English had left, but there was one man looking at me with tear filled eyes. Through the translator he told me that he was addicted to chat (a narcotic that they chew), alcohol and was living alone and filled with anxiety. I shared how the Word of God tells us that we are a new Creation in Christ (2 Cor 5:17) that our old self has been crucified with Christ (Romans 8:17) and how there is no temptation we cannot face since God has given us the power through his son, and that his past can be cleared and that there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1). He just looked with wonder in his eyes and said “I have never heard this story, I believe it and Need it today!”, then one of the local disciple makers came into the conversation and got this man’s information to plug him into the local body where he will be discipled and encouraged!

Even now I am overwhelmed that God chose to use me as a small part in this man’s story of redemption! The rest of the day our team continued to proclaim the good news to 20-30 Ethiopians at a time who would gather around to hear what we had to say. We saw Muslims come to faith, Christians repent from unhealthy behavior, Children proclaim Jesus as Lord and many Christians spurring us on. One thing is clear from today, and not just from our team, God is moving in Ethiopia and calling out for people to follow Him!!  Story by Tristan

The North Americans are humbled at what God is doing.  Muslim leadership has put up many roadblocks but still people are willing to listen.  It has been a physically hard week as we are hiking mountain roads at over 7,500 of elevation.  There are a couple people who are don’t feel quite 100% but nothing major.  Please continue to pray for:

·      Open doors to the gospel of Jesus Christ 

·      New believers will stand strong in the face of persecution 

·      Good health for the north Americans

·      Unity with our Ethiopian partners 

·      Safety as we travel Ethiopian highways & mountain paths 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ethiopia here we come again......

Changing lives from the inside out - Wednesday update

Our God is in the business of changing lives